Aval pori and Nel pori are the two main recipes that we make for Karthigai Deepam. It is easily found in stores during the time of the Karthigai Deepam Festival. Aval Pori, Nel Pori, Neyyappam, Karthigai Adai are the traditional recipes made on Karthigai Deepam day as neivedhyam / Prashad. We lit lamp in the evening, do pooja, offer all the Prashad to God. This festival of lights is similar to Bhai Dooj or Rakshabandhan in other parts of India, so we pray for the goodness and welfare of our brothers on this special day. We give all the dishes made on this day to them and bless them if we are elders or get the blessings from them if we are younger to them.
Nel pori – 6 cups
Jaggery – 1 cup
Finely chopped coconut pieces -1/2 cup
Chukku powder(Dried ginger powder) – 1/2 tsp or Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Water – 1/4 cup
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add a cup of jaggery, little water and dissolve it completely.
- Once the jaggery is dissolved, you can strain it if it has dust paricles in it. Otherwise you can proceed with the next step directly.
- Once the jaggery is dissolved completely, add coconut pieces, dried ginger powder and ghee.
- Continue to boil it until you get a soft ball consistency.
- To check the syrup consistency, add a drop of syrup into the water.
- It should not dissolve. You should be able to make ball out of it.
- It is the right stage to add the nel pori into the syrup. Keep the stove in medium flame while adding the nel pori.
- Mix it well and turn off the stove. nel pori is ready.