Adai is made out of rice and lentils. Usually we make adai with all types of dhal and lentils. But the Karthigai adai differs from the normal one. It has pepper and cumin seeds with some chopped coconut in it. The flavour of cumin and black pepper and the bite of coconut bits makes this adai a special one for winter season. Some use raw rice for neivedhyam but on the other days you can make with Idli rice.
Idli rice – 1 cup
Urad dhal – 1/4 cup
Pepper – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 small cup
Finely chopped coconut – 1 small cup
Salt – To taste
- Take rice and urad dhal in a bowl, wash and soak in water for 4 hours.
- Drain the water and add rice, urad dhal into the mixie jar.
- Add cumin seeds and Black peppercorn into it.
- Grind all the ingredients in the grinder or mixie coarsely.
- Add salt, little water and grind again to a slightly coarse batter.
- Transfer the batter into another bowl.
- Now add the curry leaves and finely chopped coconut bits into the batter and mix well.
- The adai batter is ready.
- Heat the skillet and once hot, take a small ladle of the batter and spread it evenly in round shape.
- Drizzle oil and allow it to cook till golden brown.
- Then turn it to the other side and cook in the same way.
- It goes best with Dosai milagai podi, butter, jaggery and Podi potta kuzhambu.