Sweet Rice Jaggery Puttu / Arisi Vella Puttu is a traditional naivedhyam dish for Navrathri fridays in my home town. Also for Puberty event, this is one of the important sweet dish we do. Its a little complex recipe, but finally the taste is divine. What if we make it with fingermillet flour. Ragi puttu recipe a healthy and one of the wholesome breakfast you can serve. Finger millet is called as Kezhvaragu in tamil and has a lot of health benefits. It is one of the safest foods and that is the reason why we introduce ragi first to babies. This can be made as Naivedhyam as well.
The main part lies in sprinkling the water until we can hold shape. The next important part is in keeping the right consistency of the jaggery.
Fingermillet flour – 1 cup
Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder – a pinch(optional)
Fried Cashews – 10 (optional)
Water – To sprinkle
Salt – A pinch
Turmeric powder – 1/4 cup
- Take a cup of fingermillet flour and roast it until we can draw a line from it.
- Now turn off the stove and keep it aside.
- Take some water in a vessel, add a pinch of salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Sprinkle this salt water into the roasted flour. You should be able to hold shape and if you leave, it should crumble.
- Now take a cotton cloth, keep this roasted flour, make potli and steam cook for 20 minutes.
- The steam cooked fingermillet flour is ready.
- In a pan add jaggery, little water and dissolve it. If there are impurities, then strain it.
- The syrup should reach soft ball consistency. To check this, keep water in a small bowl and add a drop of jaggery syrup into it. If you are able to form a ball then the syrup has reached right consistency.
- Now add the steam cooked ragi flour into it and mix well.
- Finally add the shredded coconut and mix well.