Brahmi leaves are traditional plant in ayurvedic medicine. This has been used by Ayurvedic medical practitioners for centuries for a variety of purposes, including improving memory, reducing anxiety, and treating epilepsy. It contains powerful antioxidants, may reduce inflammation, boost brain function, reduce anxiety & stress, help in reducing blood pressure levels, has an anti-cancer properties.
When I was a kid our family doctor who was practising Sidhdha medicine used to give us vallarai mittai(chocolate). He tells us about this Vallarai keerai / Brahmi leaves which helps in memory. So thats how I came to know about Brahmi leaves. This chappathi is very soft and healthy too. It can be served with pickle and curd.
I got this recipe from my recipe book. When I got married, my mom and grandmom gave me a lot of recipes. I copied everything on my diary. This is one from that book. I am also attaching ny handwritten recipe of this.
Servings – 8 Nos
For the dough
Wheat flour – 1 cup
Salt – As req
Water – To knead the dough
For the paste
Ghee – 2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Brahmi leaves – 1 cup
Moong Dhal – 2 tbsp
Tomato – 1
Green chilli – 2
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Salt – As req
- Cook moong dhal with little water and keep aside.
- Wash & Clean the Brahmi leaves well, remove the root and retain the thin stem.
- In a pan, add ghee, oil and saute cumin seeds.
- Then add roughly chopped green chillies, tomatoes, cooked moong dhal and cook until the brahmi leaves are cooked and the moisture is gone completely.
- While the tomatoes and the leaves are getting cooked, add turmeric powder, salt and garam masala into it.
- Once it is done, allow it to cool and grind it to a fine paste.
- The paste for the Vallarai Chappathi is ready.
- In a bowl add wheat flour, salt, ground paste and mix well with your hands.
- Donot add water in the beginning because the dough might become sticky.
- So sprinkle water little by little and knead it to make a soft dough.
- Finally apply ghee on the dough and allow it to sit for ten minutes.
- Take a small portion of the dough, dust it with wheat flour and roll it out to a thin chappathi.
- Heat the skillet, cook the chappathi on both the sides in medium flame with ghee.
- Vallarai Chappathi / Brahmi leaves Chappathi is ready to serve. Serve it with curd and pickle.