Gujiyas are sweet dumpling make with all purpose flour or semolina or wheat flour with khova, coconut and mixed nuts stuffing. I learnt this recipe from one of my North Indian friends. It was for one holi she made it and I went to observe her making it. This recipe is time consuming but worth to make.
These are mildly sweetened with sugar and rich with khova, mixed nuts. This reciep was in my bucket list for past one year and finally made it. The outcome was superb. I loved both the baked and fried gujiyas. They tasted the same. So if you are health conscious, you can go for baked ones.
For the dough
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Ghee – 8 tsp or as req
Water – As req
For the stuffing
Ghee – 3 tsp
Khova – 1 cup
Mixed nuts(Almonds,Cashews, pistachios, chironji, kish-mish) – 3/4 cup
Desiccated coconut – 3/4 cup
Powdered Sugar- 3/4 cup
For the stuffing
- Crumble the khova and keep aside. Chop the almonds, cashews, pistachios into small pieces and keep aside.
- In a pan add ghee, khova. Roast the khova until you get nice aroma.
- Once you get aroma, add the chopped nuts and mix well. Then add the desiccated coconut and roast well.
- Once they blend together turn off th stove and remove from flame. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar into the khova coconut mixture. Mix well. The stuffing is ready.
For the dough
- Add the all purpose flour and add the ghee in intervals. Mix it well with the flour. At one stage we can hold shape.
- At that point add water in intervals and make dough.
- Donot add water in one stretch. Add slowly to make a stiff soft dough.
- Keep the dough covered with a damp cloth for 20 minutes.
- To make gujiyas, keep the dough, stuffing, a cup with water, mould, roti maker with rolling pin, a plate to assemble gujiyas.
- First take a small ball of the dough, flatten it on hands and roll it out like chappathi. The thickness of the rolled out dough should be correct.
- After rolling it out, place it on a mould. Keep the stuffing inside.
- Apply water all over the edge. It helps the gujiya to tick together.
- Close the mould and press the edges well. Remove the extra dough.
- Open the mould, remove the gujiya and place it on a plate.
For Baking Gujiyas
- Pre heat the oven for 3 min at 200 degree celsius.
- In a baking tray, arrange the gujiyas.
- Apply butter or ghee all over the gujiyas.
- Keep the tray in middle rach and bake at 200 degree celsius for 15 minutes. Flip and cook for 5 minutes.
- The gujiyas will puff up slowly and the brown spots will appear. Once they are done, remove it from the oven.
- Baked Gujiyas are ready.
For Frying Gujiyas
- Heat the oil. The temperature of the oil should not be too high.
- Gently slide the gujiya into the oil. Donot disturb it with ladle immeditely. It might break.
- After sometime slowly flip the gujiya and cook on both the sides.
- Always fry gujiyas in low flame. Donot keep it in high flame.
- Once the gujiyas are golden brown in colour, remove it from oil.
- Allow it to cool and store it in an air-tight container.
- Fried Gujiyas are ready.
- After removing the extra dough from the mould, keep it aside. Donot include it immediately in maing gujiyas. Collect it and we can make it at the end.
- Add 2 tbsp of ghee into the oil so that the gujiyas tastes like fried in ghee.