Ribbon pakodam or Oattu pakodam as it is called, is one of the famous snacks in Tamilnadu. This takes me back to my school days. It is one of the regular snacks that my mom makes at home. Always the tin is filled with this snack. When it is about to finish, she makes next set of pakodams. This is the favourite tea time snack for all the members of the family. This is also made for Diwali along with other savouries.
Besan flour – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder- 2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
Hot oil – 2 tsp
Water – To knead the dough
- In a bowl, take besan flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, salt, asafoetida and mix well. So that they blend well.
- Heat the oil in a kadai. Add 1 small ladle of hot oil into the bowl. This make the pakodam very crispy.
- Add water little by little and knead it into a dough.
- Check the temperature of the oil by dropping a small ball of the dough into it. When the dough raises immediately, the temperature is just right.
- Take the murukku maker and select the pakodam mould to make the crispy pakodams.
- Take a ball of the dough and keep it in the murukku maker. Simmer the stove. Press the murukku maker over the hot oil in a circular manner.
- Let it cook in one side till the sizzling sound disappears.
- Flip it and cook on the other side too till the sizzling sound ceases.
- Remove it from the oil and drain it on a tissue paper.