Paruppu vadai / Masal vadai is a favourite snack for me and my bro. My mom makes crispy and hot vadai during rainy days. All our family members will sit together and enjoy having this with hot cup of tea. It is one of the item in almost all festive days. On festive days, amma makes vadai without onions, fennel seeds, garam masala. Yet it tastes good. Finally I want to try and got super crispy vadai.
Channa dhal/Vadai paruppui- 1 cup
Curry leaves – few
Cilantro – few
Red chillies – 2
Green chillies – 2
Asafoetida – A pinch
Salt – As per taste
- Soak the Channa dhal for 6-8 hours(overnight).
- Next day drain the water completely and keep 2 tbsp channa dhal aside.
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Now grind the cilantro, curry leaves, red chillies, green chillies, salt and 2 tbsp channa dhal.
- First grind the channa dhal separately and then with the above mixture. Add 2 tbsp water if necessary.
- This makes the ingredients to mix evenly.
- Add asafoetida and mix it with hands.
- Heat oil in the pan.
- Now make small balls of the mixture. So that it will be easy for you to make vadai once the oil gets heated.
- Drop a small bit of the mixture to check the heatness of the oil.
- Now take the small balls you have made and flatten it in your hands and gently slip it into the oil.
- Deep fry until it is golden brown.
- Have it with hot tea/coffee.
Note: To make masal vadai add finely chopped onions, garam masala powder, fennel seeds.
This tastes yummy.