The idea of making puffed rice balls came from the aval pori and nel pori that we make for thirukarthigai. We buy muttai pori(puffed rice) regulary at home and kaara pori is the most commonly made snack in the evening. I remember an aunty making muttai pori urundai and she packs it for her son’s snack. Then popped up the idea of making this. I made it as balls as well as pieces. This snack is very easy to make and healthy as well. It takes only 15 min to make this snack and also kids will love this.
Servings – 25 pieces
Difficulty level – Medium
Puffed rice – 6 cups
Jaggery – 1.5cup
Water – little
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
- Weigh the jaggery, puffed rice and keep aside.
- Grease the plate with ghee before you start making the puffed rice chikki. If you are going to make it as ladoos you can avoid this step.
- In a pan add jaggery, little water and dissolve. If there is any dirt or dust particle, strain it. Mine is pure so I didnt strain the jaggery.
- Stir the jaggery syrup continuously until you get the ball like consistency.
- When you drop a tsp of jaggery syrup in a cup of water, it should not dissolve. You should be able to make ball out of it.
- At this stage add the puffed rice and mix well.
- Turn off the stove and either make balls or cut pieces.
- To make pieces, spread the puffed rice on a greased plate, level it and allow it for sometime.
- When it is lukewarm, cut it with the knife. Remove the chikkis and store it in an air-tight container.
- If there is dirt in jaggery, strain it.
- If you are not able to make balls, or cut into pieces, then lightly heat the mixture and make the balls.