Vaazhakkai Poriyal(Plantain Curry)
Vaazhakkai poriyal is one of the curries that we make at home regularly. This is a tamil Brahmin recipe and has no onion and garlic. You can make mezhukkuperatti, Vaazhakkai podimas and this one with plantain. This curry is different from the other two. It goes well with sambar sadham, rasam sadham.
Vazhakkai (Plantain)- 2
Salt – To taste
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Coconut – 1/4
Curry leaves – few
Green chilli – 2
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
- Wash and remove the outer skin of plantain.
- Cut it into big cubes and keep it in water to prevent discolouration . Do not chop it into tiny cubes.
- Pressure cook or cook it in open pan with salt, water and turmeric powder. Thius vegetable should become soft but not mushy. Strain the excess water.
- Grind the coconut, green chilli and curry leaves coarsely without adding water.
- In a kadai, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add urad dhal and toor dhal and saute for a minute.
- Now add the ground coconut mixture and saute until the moisture leaves from the coconut.
- Finally add the cooked plantain and mix well with other ingredients.
- It goes well with sambar sadham and rasam sadham.