Elephant yam is an edible tuber, that is consumed mostly in the tropical regions. The name elephant yam is due to the reason that it resembles the foot of the elephant to a great extent. They are rich in carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins. The antioxidants in it make it very nutritious. They help in reducing LDL which is the bad cholesterol. The low glycemic index makes it good for the people with diabetes. Apart from this, they are a good anti- coagulant, cures constipation and helps women in maintaining hormonal balance. After knowing all these, who will say no to Elephant yam!!! So here is the recipe for you. This is one of my favourites and hope you will enjoy it :).
Elephant yam – 1/2
Coconut oil – 4 tbsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Salt – As required
Turmeric powder – A pinch
- Wash the elephant yam and peel off the skin.
- Take enough water in a vessel.
- Chop it into small pieces and put it in water. Else it will turn brown.
- Then drain the water and wask it again.
- In a pan, add the chopped yam and add enough water.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt.
- Cover with a lid and allow it to cook.
- After sometime, just take one piece from the pan and mash it to check whether it has been cooked. Donot overcook.
- Drain the remaining water.
- Add coconut oil and fry for some more time.
- Season it with mustard seeds.