Paruppu podi or Kalathu podi is the one which amma makes regularly at home. We all love it especially my brother is a big fan of amma’s Paruppu podi. We have never made garlic paruppu podi. But when I want to post a recipe with an ingredient starting with G, I chose garlic as the ingredient since it has lot of health benefits. There are so many options to make with garlic but this paruppu podi came into my mind. when I was talking with my perima, once she has told me about this paruppu podi. Finally I decided to make garlic paruppu podi which is my perima’s recipe. Thank you Bagyam perima for the recipe.
Note: I have used 1/8 measuring cup. So when I mention 4 cups, it is 4*1/8
Roasted gram dhal – 4 cups
Garlic cloves – 3 cups
Moong dhal – 1 cup
Toor dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Guntur chilli – 2
Bedigi chilli – 4
Salt – As req
- First take the measured quantity of roasted gram dhal and roast it for a minute until you heat it. Remove it from the pan and allow it to cool.
- Then add moong dhal and roast it until you get a nice aroma and it turns golden brown in colour.
- Add toor dhal and roast it until it turns golden brown in colour.
- Add channa dhal roast it well. When it is half roasted, add the red chillies and roast for few seconds.
- Finally add the chopped garlic cloves and roast it until crisp and it is golden brown in colour.
- Allow all the ingredients to cool and transfer it to a mixie jar.
- Grind it coarsely at first and then add the required amount of salt for this recipe.
- Grind it again to a fine powder.
- Garlic paruppu podi is ready. Allow it to cool and store it in an air-tight container.
- When needed, mix it with rice add a dollop of ghee or oil and eat.
This recipe is a part of A to Z challenge, a challenge initiated by bloggers Jolly Makkar and Vidya Narayan on Facebook Group, wherein a group of bloggers come together and we choose key ingredients alphabetically to cook and post a dish every alternate month. This month alphabet is ‘G’, so my contribution for this month is Garlic Paruppu Podi.