Bisi-bele-bath is a Kannada phrase meaning hot lentil rice. This is a Karnataka recipe. You can find this in restaurants that has Udupi cuisine. Amma makes this recipe at home occasionally when my bro and I were kids. Later I learnt some tips from our kannadian family friend and found it very easy and tastier. So this is a combination of Amma’s and Aunty’s version. Everytime aunty makes this and give to us we could find a different unique flavour and her tips helped me to get that flavour. When you keep this powder ready, you can make Bisi-bele -bath easily.
Coriander seeds – 1 cup
Channa dhal – 1/2 cup
Toor dhal – 1/4 cup
Urad dhal – 1/4 cup
Red chilli – As per taste
Fenugreek – 1 tsp
- Measure all the ingredients and keep separately.
- Keep the red chillies in the hot sun for few minutes. So that it can be fried easily without taking much time.
- Fry all the ingredients to golden brown one by one.
- While frying the red chillies add one drop of oil so that you wont start sneezing while doing that.
- Allow the ingredients to cool for 5 minutes.
- Later grind the ingredients together.
- Your bisi bele bath podi is ready.
- Store it in air tight container and use while making bisi-bele-bath.