Chakkai kottai podimas or Jackfruit seeds dry sabzi is my favourite recipes out of all the recipes made with jackfruit seeds. Whenever we buy jackfruit, we donot discard the seeds. We make recipes out of it. We can make a normal sabzi called chakkai kottai thoran where the seeds are not grind after cooking. We can add it to molagootal or can make this podimas. For the podimas, we cook the jackfruit seeds and then grind it. Hence we call it as podimas. This has a slight sweetness and I love it. It goes well with sambar saadham, mor kootan or any South Indian gravy.
Jackfruit seeds – 25 to 30
Salt – To taste
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Water – To cook
Coconut – 1/4
Green chilli – 1 or 2
Curry leaves – few
Coriander – few
Coconut oil –
Mustard – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Remove the seeds from the fleshy part of the jackfruit. Wash it well and spread it on a paper.
- The seeds will appear white in colour. After a day or two, the seeds will start drying.
- Once the seeds start drying, we can remove the white covering of the seeds. Donot allow the seeds to dry completely, else it will become hard.
- After removing the white covering of the seeds, the seeds will appear brown in colour.
- Now chop the brown seeds into four and transfer it to a vessel.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and required quantity of water and pressure cook it. The seeds should be coked well but not mushy. It should retain its shape.
- Drain water and allow it to cool.
- Now transfer the seeds into a mixie jar and grind it coarsely. Keep it aside.
- Now in a mixie jar, add coconut, green chillies, curry leaves, coriander and grind it. Keep it aside.
- Ina kadai or pan, add coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack add channa dhal, urad dhal and saute until they turn golden brown. Add curry leaves and saute well.
- Next add the ground coconut mixture and saute well.
- At this stage add the ground jackfruit seeds and mix it well with the coconut mixture.
- Yummy chakkai kottai podimas is ready. Serve it hot with sambar saadham.