Curry Leaves powder or karivepillai podi is a dry version of the curry leaves thogayal.It can be stored for a longer period and it is easy to carry when you are travelling. Karuvepillai=Karu+ Vepillai…. this leaves act as a vepillai to uterus and helps to get rid of irregular periods. It is rich in iron. So it is advised to include a lot of curry leaves in our diet. It is also a super good remedy for hair fall and helps in maintaining black hair. My mannima(Mom’s mom) makes this regularly at home. She retained black hair even at the age of 83 when she died. Is this the secret behind that? Let me also eat this regularly and find it out. Thank you for the recipe Mannima….
Dried Curry leaves – 1 cup
Channa dhal – 1 tbsp
Urad dhal – 1 tbsp
White sesame- 1/2 tbsp
Tamarind – A small piece
Jaggery – A small piece
Red chilli – 2 Nos
Salt – To taste
- Measure all the ingredients and keep separately.
- Roast the dried curry leaves for a minute.
- Fry the channa dhal, urad dhal to golden brown one by one.
- Roast the white sesame separately until it crackles well or until it turn light brown in colour.
- While frying the red chillies add one drop of oil so that you wont start sneezing while doing that. But if you are going to use only two chillies, you can avoid adding oil.
- Allow the ingredients to cool for 5 minutes.
- Along with the roasted ingredients, add jaggery, tamarind, salt.
- Later grind everything together to a fine powder.
- Curry leaves powder is ready.
- Store the curry leaves powder in an air-tight container.
- You can serve this as a side dish for curd rice or you can mix it with rice and a dollop of ghee.