Rice flour is one of the key ingredient in most of the recipes especially in making snacks. If you keep the rice flour ready at home, it will be handy during the festival times. Though we have the option of buying the rice flour from the shops for making the snacks, it is best to use the homemade rice flour as it gives best result.
Raw rice – 4 cups
Water – To wash and soak the rice
- Wash and rinse the raw rice in water atleast couple of times.
- Then add fresh water to the raw rice and soak it for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain the water from rice and spread it in a clean cotton cloth to get it dried. Donot over dry the rice.
- If you take the rice in your hand, you should feel damp in your palm or fingers.
- Grind it immediately after the rice got dried. Immediately grinding the dried rice in a mixer helps us to get more smooth rice flour without any lumps.
- Sieve the ground flour until you get the rava like particles on the sieve. Grind the particles again to make it to a smooth flour. Repeat this step until there is no rava like particles on the sieve.
- Spread the ground flour on the nwspaper for 10 minutes.
- Dry roast the rice flour in the pan till we reach a point that rice flour loses all its dampness and we should be able to draw kolam. This is the correct time to remove the rice flour from flame.