Masaal is a very good side dish for and Chappathi and puri. It is a famous South-Indian gravy. The restaurants in Tamilnadu will add tomatoes in the masaal and it gives a different taste to it. But my amma and Paati makes it without tomatoes and it is a hit in our family. My brother and I love it a lot. The masaal consistency for Chappathi and puri is slightly watery and the for Masaal Dosai it is thick.
Onion – 1
Ginger- 1 tsp
Green chillies – 2
Curry leaves – few
Salt- As required
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
- Pressure cook the potatoes. Peel the skin and mash it well.
- Chop the onions, green chillies and ginger.
- In a pressure pan, add 2 oil and splutter mustard seeds. Then add urad dhal, channa dhal and saute until they turn golden brown in colour.
- Then add ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and saute well.
- Add onions and saute until it turns transparent.
- Now add the cooked potatoes and add salt, turmeric powder.
- Add water to adjust the consistency.
- Allow it to cook for five minutes and turn of the stove.
- Garnish with Cilantro and add 1 tsp lemon juice.
- The masaal is ready to serve.