Milagu kuzhambu is a spicy and tasty gravy. It can be made during rainy days and goes well with hot rice and pappadam.
Tamarind -Lemon size
Jaggery – 2 tsp
Salt- As required
Curry leaves – 5 arcs
Peppercorns – 4 tsp
Channa dhal – 4 tsp
Urad dhal – 4 tsp
Coriander seeds – 4 tsp
Red chillies – 4
Hing – A pinch
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract juice.
- In a kadai, add 1/2 tsp oil and add the ingredients given for grinding and fry them till golden brown.Allow it to cool.
- Now grind the ingredients with 2 tbsp water. It should not be too watery.
- Heat the pan and add oil. First add the mustard seeds and once it sputters, add channa dhal and urad dhal. Once they turn golden brown, add the curry leaves.
- Add the tamarind juice, ground paste, jaggery and stir well.
- Allow the gravy to cook for few minutes until it reach thick consistency.
- Serve with hot rice and pappadam.