Ishtu is a stew made out of different colourful vegetables. I used potatoes, carrot, beans and green peas to make this stew. It is a recipe from Kerala. It goes best with Aapam and idiyappam. I came to know about this recipe through one of our family friends. It can also be served along with roti.
Coconut milk – 2 cups
Potatoes – 4 small
Carrot – 1
Beans – 5
Green peas – 100 gm
Paneer- 25 gms
Green chillies – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Cut the potatoes as cubes and half cook it so that they remain as separate cubes.
- Chop the beans and carrot lengthwise. Cook it with enough water in a pan.
- Cut the paneer into cubes.
- Take one coconut, grate it and extract milk from it.
- In a kadai, add 1 tsp coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Once they crack add green chillies and saute it.
- Now add the half cooked vegetables along with the green peas.
- Add the extracted coconut milk.
- Ishtu should neither be too thick nor be too watery.
- Add the paneer cubes. Cook it in low flame for 20 minutes.
- You can feel the aroma of coconut milk and the veggies.
- Serve it with Aapam, Idiyappam or Chappathi.
Note: You can also use carrot and paneer.