Arachukalakki is a distinctive dish of Palakkad Iyers. This is a best side dish for molagushyam, mulagootal. You can also have this as a main course. It is an easy recipe consisting of two steps – grinding and mixing. Hence the name arachukalakki(Arachu-grind,kalakki – mix). Coconut and curd are the two main ingredients. You can also make this by adding chambakka(rose apple) or without any of these.
Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
Sour curd – 2 ladle
Green Chillies – 1
Gooseberry – 1
Salt to taste
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Grind the grated coconut, green chillies, gooseberry with salt. Transfer it to a vessel.
- In a kadai, splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add urad dhal and curry leaves.
- After the urad dhal turns brown, turn off the stove and pour this into coconut green chilli mixture.
- A minute before serving, add the curd.
- If you add this before, it will become sour.
- The gravy should neither be too watery nor too thick.
- You can just mix this with rice and have it with papad or some dry sabzi. Or you can also serve it as a side dish for molagootal.