Thandai is a Almond flavoured beverage which is very popular drink in North India. It is a refreshing Summer drink that cools down your body. This is made for Mahashivrathri and Holi. I came to know about this recipe through one of my favourite Hindi TV series. After that I searched for this recipe in many sites, finally got the recipe from one of my North Indian friends and made it. I just love this toothsome drink. Happy Holi!!!
Milk – 1 large glass
Rose essence – 1/4 tsp
Saffron – 6 strands(optional)
Sugar – 2 tsp
Finely chopped mixed nuts – 2 tsp
Almonds – 20
Cashews – 15
Pistachios – 15
Black peppercorns – 1/2 tsp
Melon seeds- 1/8 cup
Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Poppy Seeds – 2 tsp
- Boil milk and allow it to cool down.
- Soak the almonds in water separately for 30 minutes. Later remove the skin and keep aside.
- Soak cashews, pistachios, poppy seeds, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, melon seeds and fennel seeds for 30 minutes.
- Grind all the soaked ingredients into a fine paste with little water.
- Mix saffron with little warm milk. I didnt add saffron but I recommend you to add.
- Add 2 tbsp ground paste, sugar and mix it well with little milk.
- Add remaining milk, rose essence and mix everything together.
- Refrigerate the thandai.
- Pour it into large glass and garnish it with finely chopped mixed nuts.