Samba Ravai idli is a modified verison of our regular rava idli. The broken wheat is very good for our health, especially for diabetic patients. We can make a lot of recipes with broken wheat – upma, kozhukkattai, idli. I made this recipe few months ago and it came out very well.
Broken wheat – 1 cup
Thick curd – 1/2 cup
Carrot – 1
Finely chopped Coriander leaves – few
Finely chopped green chillies – 4
Hing – A pinch
Salt – As required
Water – As required
Oil – 1tsp
Channa – Dhal – 1/2 tsp
Split urad Dhal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Heat a pan and add broken wheat, dry roast it for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the dry roasted broken wheat in a mixing bowl or vessel.
- Now add oil to the pan and splutter mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to crack, add spilt urad dal, channa dal and fry till they turn golden brown color. Then add curry leaves and fry for 2 seconds
- Add these mixture and chopped coriander to the mixing bowl and mix with the broken wheat.
- Add curd and water and mix well. Keep it aside covered for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, adjust the water level if the all of the water and curd is absorbed by broken wheat.
- Grease the idli plates and grate the carrot and add 1 tsp of the grated carrot in each idli hole.
- Then fill in the batter in each idli hole and steam cook for 20 minutes
- The healthy broken wheat idli is ready to serve. It goes best with kaara chutney or Tomato pickle.