Ven Pongal is a traditional South- Indian tiffin which is very easy to make. It is also offered as a prasadham in many temples. The right quantity of water, cooking the rice is the most important step in making pongal. If the quantity of water is more, then the pongal cannot be scooped and served. At the same time if the quantity of water is less then the rice and moong dhal will not be mushy. If each step is followed with care, then the pongal tastes yummy.
Raw rice – 1/2 cup
Moong dhal- 1/2 cup
Water – 3 cups
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
Black peppercorn – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 4 to 5 arcs
Ginger – 1 tbsp
Cashews – few
Asafoetida – Two pinches
- Pressure cook the rice and moong dhal with water.Mash it well.
- Now add the required qauntity of salt for the recipe.
- In a pan add Ghee. Once it melts, add the cumin seeds. Fry it until golden brown.
- Then add the black peppercorns. Let it fry well.
- Chop the cashews and fry slowly. When it turns brown, add the curry leaves, ginger and asafoetida.
- Add this into the rice and dhal mixture.
- Mix everything well.
- The authentic tamilnadu ven pongal is ready to serve.
- If you want it to be more rich, add two more tablespoons of ghee and mix well.
- Serve it hot with chutney and sambar.