Vegetable pulao is a simple, rich, exotic rice that is made with a lot of vegetables and spices. It is completely different from vegetable biriyani and fried rice. I learnt this version from one of my college friends. Whenever we feel the class is boring or during the free hours we will discuss about making different types of recipes, method of making it etc., Though myself and my mom have experimented it in different ways, we found this version to be the best. Apt recipe to be served during get together and on weekends. Serve it with raitha. My husband likes to have it with vadam. Dedicated to my dear friend Vasave.
Rice – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Milk – 1 cup
Ghee – 4 tbsp
Onion – 1
Beans – 4-5
Cabbage – A small portion
Carrot – 3
Cauliflower – 1 small
Potato – 1 big
Green peas – 1 cup
Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Cardomom – 1
Bay leaf – 1
Mace – small piece
Marathi moggu – 1
Star anise – 1
Cinnamon – 1
Cloves – 3
Salt – As required
- In a pressure cooker, add ghee and melt it.
- Add Cumin seeds, Fennel seeds, Cardomom, Bay leaf, Mace, Staranise, Cinnamon, Cloves and saute until you feel their aroma.
- Chop the vegetables lengthwise and soak the potatoes in water.
- Add the vegetables and saute for two minutes.
- Meanwhile soak the rice in water for ten minutes. Wash and drain the water.
- Add the rice to pressure cooker and saute until light brown.
- Now add water and milk and mix with other ingredients.
- Finally add salt and mix well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook it.
- You can feel the aroma of pulao all over your kitchen once the first whisle comes.
- Serve it with raitha or any other gravy that you prepare for roti.