Kara chutney as the name indicates is a spicy tangy tomato chutney that is used as a side dish for dosai, uththappam and idli. Whenever we go to the hotel and order for any type of dosai, they serve it with sambar, white chutney(Coconut chutney), green chutney(Coriander and mint chutney), red chutney(kara chutney). Though red chutney is my favourite, I donot know the name of the recipe. Later when I went to my friend’s house they served me the dosai with this chutney. It was then I came to know the name of that recipe. It is very spicy and a good combination for dosai and idli. Later we made in my home and my family started liking it. After I got married, I was missing all the chutneys. I was making only sambar and dosai milagai podi as a side dish for dosai and idli since my husband was used to it from his childhood. But one day I decided to make him to taste it with dosai. He not only liked it but also had one extra dosai
Tomatoes – 2
Onion – 4
Garlic – 2 cloves
Red chilli – 5-6
Tamarind – A small piece
Jaggery -small piece
Salt – To taste
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cut the tomatoes and onions into big cubes.
- In a kadai, heat oil and saute the tamarind and red chilli. After two minutes add the sliced onion, garlic, tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes become tender and the onion becomes translucent.
- Now turn off the stove and allow it to cool.
- Add jaggery and grind everything in a mixie with salt.
- Once again add oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the ground paste and saute until the oil separates.
- Serve it as a side dish for chappathi, idli and dosai.