Vengayam in tamil means onion and thogayal means a thick chutney. I learnt this recipe from my mom. Though this is not a regular side dish to be made at home, it occupies a space in our bag whenever we go out for a picnic. This is a very simple and easy recipe. I love this a lot when served with hot idli and chappathi.
Onions – 4
Urad dhal – 1/2 cup
Red chillies – 6
Tamarind – A small lemon size
Salt- To taste
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Red chilli – 1
- Wash and peel the outer skin of the onions.
- Chop it into pieces(There is no need of chopping it to very small pieces since we are going to grind it).
- In a pan, add oil and saute the urad dhal and red chillies.
- Once they turn brown add the chopped onions and saute well. Allow it to turn golden brown.
- Allow it to cool down for five minutes.
- Now grind the onions, red chillies and urad dhal along with the tamarind. Donot grind it to a smooth paste. So that you can feel the presence of onions.
- Now in a kadai, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. once they crack, add the urad dhal and saute until they turn light brown. Finally add the red chilli and temper it on the ground thogayal.
- This gravy goes best with idli, dosai and chappathi.