Molagashiyam is an authentic Kerala Brahmin’s recipe. It is made usually using one type of vegetable raw banana, yam, pumpkin, ash gourd, potato or snake gourd though nowadays beans, cabbage, carrots, etc are used; this list of vegetables is not exhaustive and occasionally a combination of two vegetables like potato and White pumpkin, Snake gourd and white pumpkin. This is the all time favourite for Krish. It can be served with side dish like Thuvayal, Pachadi, Pickle or gothsu.
Poosanikkai(White pumpkin) – 1/4
Arasnikkai(Sweet pumpkin) – 2
Toor dhal/moong dhal – 1 cup
Coconut – half
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Green chilli – 2 to 3
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Pressure cook the dhal with turmeric powder and the vegetables with turmeric powder , salt. Keep aside.
- Gind the coconut with green chilli and cumin seeds into a fine paste with little water.
- In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add urad dhal and curry leaves. Sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add the pressure cooked vegetables into the pan. Add salt, turmeric powder and allow it to cook for two minutes.
- Mix the cooked toor dhal with the coconut paste. Now pour this mixture into the pan. Add some water and allow it to boil.
- Serve with hot rice and pickle/puli inji/ ulundhu thogayal.