Erissery is a special dish prepared in Kerala for Sadhi. My paati prepare this dish at home. It can be prepared using yam, plantain, pumpkin, raw jackfruit or the combination of two vegetables. It is served with rice, pickle or pachadi. I have used plantain. Instead of that we can use any other mentioned vegetable.
Plantain – 1 Cut into cubes
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Scraped Coconut – ¾ cup
Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
Dried Red Chilly – 1
Scraped Coconut – ¼ cup
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Urad Dal – ½ tsp
Dried Red Chilly – 1 (optional)
Curry Leaves – few
- Pressure cook the plantain cubes with salt and turmeric powder.
- Grind coconut, cumin seeds and red chilly to a smooth paste using little water.
- Once the plantain is cooked, add the ground paste to the cooked plantain, mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until it starts boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Now heat a small frying pan, add a tsp of oil and roast the coconut until dark brown.
- Add this browned coconut to the plantain coconut mixture and mix.
- Finally temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilly and curry leaves.