Sweet rice is the mixture of rice with jaggery syrup and grated coconut with elaichi flavour. The taste and flavour differs from sweet pongal(Chakkarai pongal), and nei payasam. It has its unique taste. This is my grandma’s(mother’s mom) recipe. I learnt this from my mom. This is the first time we made this recipe n the absence of my grandma and it is dedicated to her. Love you mannima <3 <3 <3.
Jaggery – 1 1/2 cups
Water – To dissolve the jaggery
Rice – 1 1/2 cups
Grated coconut – 3/4
Elaichi powder – 1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Measure the jaggery and put it in a vessel.
- Add some water to disslve the jaggery.
- Place it in a stove and stir slowly.
- Once the jaggery dissolves, turn off the stove and filter it to remove the impurities.
- Again place the filtered jaggery syrup in the stove and check for one string consistency.(But I didnot allow it to form string. i just stirred it for sometime and added the rice the stage before it formed string).
- To check the string, first dip your thumb and forefinger in water and then take the syrup and see whether it can form a single thread between two fingers.
- Once you are ok with this, add elaichi powder and cooked rice into it and mix well.
- Add ghee and grated coconut and keep it in simmer for two minutes.
- Switch off the stove and serve.