Puliinji or Injipuli is a dark brown Keralite curry made of ginger, green chillies and jaggery. It is also a part of tamilnadu cuisine. It is also known as Puli inji in some parts of Kerala, South India. It is served as part of the sadhya.
Ginger -1/4 cup heaped (finely chopped)
Green chilli – 4-5 finely chopped
Turmeric powder -a pinch
Tamarind – gooseberry sized ball
Fenugreek powder – A pinch
Urad dhal powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Hing – a pinch
Curry leaves – few
- Pressure cook the tamarind and extract juice from it and keep aside.
- Slightly roast the fenugreek and urad dhal and grind them separately.
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds,when it splutters, hing, curry leaves,chopped ginger and green chillies.
- Fry ginger and chilli well until ginger changes to brown color.
- Add turmeric powder, thick tamarind extract, jaggery and salt needed.Allow it to boil.
- After it starts boiling, simmer until the gravy becomes thick and oil separates.
- Add fenugreek powder, and urad dhal powder,mix well and remove from flame.
- After it cools, store it in a dry bottle and refrigerate.
- It is used mainly as a side dish for mulagootal.
Note: Puli inji thickens as it cools and can be stored for a day or two.