Poha is known as aval in tamil. Poha or flattened rice flakes are a good prebiotic or probiotic food, easily and cheaply available to all.It is light on the stomach and easy to digest. It is a source of instant energy on account of the rice content. Rice also provides vitamin B1 and stabilizes blood sugar. Peanuts contained in Poha are good source of protein and antioxidants, and also considered good for the heart. We can make a lot of recipes with poha. Aloo poha is the one in which you will find blended flavour of potato and flattened rice.
Poha / aval – 1½ cup
Potato (finely chopped)-1 big
lemon juice – 2 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Green chillies (finely chopped)- 1 – 2
Mustard seeds-½ tsp
Peanuts -1 tbsp
Urad dal-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-A pinch
Coriander leaves -few
Salt – to taste
- Take poha in a vessel and wash well.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to it and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, urad dal and peanuts.
- Saute until they turn brown and add green chillies.
- Add potatoes in a separate vessel and water. Mix well and simmer till potatoes are cooked.
- Add poha and potatoes to the tempering and mix well. Simmer for just one minute.
- Sprinkle lemon juice to add flavour.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Note: You can also grate the potatoes instead of chopping.
Green peas and onions can be used.
Please follow and like us: