Moong dhal gravy is a simple, easy and colourful side dish that you can prepare in no time. It is tasty and healthy too. I learnt this from my mom. It serves as a best side dish for Chappathi/roti. And I like to have this as such after mixing some buttermilk into it. North Indians make dhal with rice and it is popularly called as dhal chawal.
Moong dhal – 1cup
Tomato – 1 (Small size)
Green chillies – 3
Ginger – small piece
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Jeera powder – A pinch
Salt – To taste
Water – 4 cups
Lemon – 1
Coriander leaves – few
Curry leaves – few
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pressure cook the moong dhal with turmeric powder. Donot add salt while cooking the dhal.
- In a pan, add ghee and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the cumin seeds and saute until they are fried popularly.
- Then add chopped green chillies, ginger, curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Then chop the tomatoes and cook it with litle water.
- At this time add turmeric powder, salt, cumin seed powder.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add moong dhal with some water.
- Finally add the chopped cilantro and curry leaves.
- Turn off the stove and allow it to cool for sometime. Then add a tsp of lemon juice.
- Serve it as a side dish for chappathi or roti.