Kadala curry is one of the famous recipes in Kerala. It is served with puttu or Aapam. It also goes well with rotis or chappathis. Usually we make ishtu or Coconut chutney as an accompaniment for Aapam. And my chithappa suggested me that Aapam also tastes best with kadala curry. So this time I opted for this and made at home. Hot and Spicy 😛 😛 😛
Black channa – 1 cup
Onion – 3
Star Anise – 1
Cinnamon – 1
Salt – to taste
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Coriander seed powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Pressure cook the channa with salt, star anise and cinnamon.
- Drain the water in a separate vessel and keep aside. Use it later for cooking.
- Chop the onions into small pieces.
- In a kadai, add oil and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves. Then add the onions and fry till golden brown.
- To this add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and coriander seed powder.
- Saute them for a minute.
- Then grind 3/4 the of the onions , masala powders and 2 tbsp of the channa into a fine paste.
- Add htis paste into the kadai. Add the drained water and the channa into it.
- Close the lid and allow it to cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Serve with kerala puttu, Aapam, Roti.