Vella dosai / Jaggery dosa is one of my favourite tiffin from my childhood days. My amma or paati makes this at home during my school days. This recipe is made with wheat flour and jaggery. The success of this recipe lies in the consistency of the batter. This is always a super hit recipe in my family. Though I have posted this recipe long before, I am linking the video and reposting it on demand. We always make this along with Instant wheat dosai so that we can have both spicy and sweet version.
Servings – 4 dosais ( I have used 125 ml cup as 1 cup)
Wheat flour – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1 tbsp
Water – 1 cup
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Ghee + Oil – To cook
- In a bowl take the wheat flour, rice flour, cardamom powder and keep it aside.
- Mix jaggery in 3/4 cup of water. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of water later to adjust the consistency. Boil to dissolve the jaggery. There is no need to make string consistency.
- Turn off the stove and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the jaggery water into wheat flour and rice flour through strainer. So that the jaggery syrup is without any dirt.
- Mix well without forming any lumps. At this stage we can add the remaining water.
- Heat the tawa and grease it with ghee.
- In a small cup mix ghee and oil to drizzle it around the dosa.
- Once the tawa gets heated, add a ladle of batter in a circular motion.
- Make small dosa and drizzle the ghee- oil mixture around the dosa. Cook it in low flame.
- When the corners starts lifting up, flip the dosa to the other side and drizzle ghee-oil mixture.
- Serve the dosa hot. You donot need any side dish for this recipe.
- However it tastes best when served hot with butter or ghee.
- The tawa should be hot.
- The batter should be in the right consistency.