Pacharisi kozhukattai is a steamed rice dumpling with a small quantity of dhal and simple seasoning. I learnt this recipe from my mom. Usually both my grandmas’ make this with the rice alone. My mom makes this with some dhal added to it and I love this version a lot. This was one of the recipes that occupies a space in my tiffin box regularly. My friends and my classmates love this recipe a lotttt…. So whenever I take this to my school or college, in no time my tiffin box will be empty. So always my mom keeps some extra kozhakattai in my tiffin box. Since I took this picture in mobile, there is no clarity. Sorry about that!!!
Raw rice – 1 cup
Toor dhal – 1tbsp
Channa dhal – 1 tbsp
Urad dhal – 1 tbsp
Water – 11/4 cup
Grated coconut – 4 tbsp
Red chilli – 1
Oil – 2 tbsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Wash the rice and drain the water. Spread it on a cotton cloth. Allow it to dry.
- Soak all the dhals and the red chilli for two hours.
- Grind the dried rice into a coarse powder or in rava(sooji)consistency.
- Drain the water and grind the soaked dhal and red chilli into a fine paste.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add channa dhal, urad dhal and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Also add curry leaves and sauté for a minute.
- Then add the measured quantity of water and allow it to boil.
- Once they start to boil, add the grated coconut, ground dhal and the rice powder into it.
- Mix well and stir continuously until it thickens.
- Spread it on a plate and allow it to cool.
- Now take some portion and make it into a round or oval shape.
- Keep it in a rice pan and steam cook it in a cooker.
- You have to keep it for 15 minutes from the time the steam comes out.
- Serve it with coconut chutney or sambar.