Pulikuthi Upperi is a Palakkad Iyer recipe that is so popular in this community. Is is a tangy blend of stir fried vegetables. We normally use desi vegetables to make this recipe. Here i have used red pumpkin, lady’s finger, brinjal, plantain. We can also make it with one vegetable. It goes best with Molagootal. This stir fry is totally different from the normal ones we make. It doesnt call for coconut or paruppu usili. The tangy flavour in this vegetable makes this a unique one.
Plantain – 1/2 ( 1 cup)
Red pumpkin – A small piece ( 1 cup)
Brinjal – 2 (1 cup)
Lady’sfinger – 4 (1 cup)
Tamarind – Lemon size
Jaggery – a small piece
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Salt – As req
To roast and grind
Raw rice – 2 tbsp
Fenugreek – 1/4 tsp
red chilli – 2
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Chop all the four vegetables lengthwise. Keep the plantain and brinjal in water to avoid discolouration.
- Take tamarind in a bowl, add water, boil and extract juice from it. Tamarind extract is ready.
- In a pan dry roast raw rice, fenugreek, red chilli. Keep the flame low and roast else the rice will turn black. Roast until they are light brown.
- Allow the roasted ingredients to cool and grind them to a powder.
- In a pan, add coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack add curry leaves, jaggery, turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida.
- Then add the chopped vegetables, saute for a minute and add tamarind extract.
- Cook the vegetables but at the same time donot make it mushy.
- By the time the vegetables are cooked, the vegetables would have absorbed the tamarind extract.
- At this time add the ground powder and mix well.
- Allow it to cool and serve.
- The stir fried vegetables will stay separate and tastes yum with Molagootal saadham.