Ammini kozhukkatai is usually made out of the left over dough of the kozhukkatai during Vinayagar chathurthi. It is simple, easy and healthy snack. Every kid likes this recipe because of its tiny and cute appearance. It can be made in different ways. I am going to make ammini kozhukkattai with paruppu usili. Paruppu usili is a traditional south Indian recipe. It can be mixed with koththavarangai, vazhaipoo, beans instead of ground cococnut.
Rice flour – 1 cup
Water – 1 cup
Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – As required
- In a kadai, add water and allow it to boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add salt and rice flour.
- Mix well without forming lumps.
- Switch off the stove and knead the flour to make it soft.
- grease your hands with one drop of oil so that the dough will not stick.
- Now make small, cute balls and steam cook it.
Rice flour – 2 cups
Water – 3 cups
Salt – To taste
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add water along with salt and 1tbsp oil. Allow it to boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the rice flour to the center of the vessel.
- Insert a laddle and cover it with a lid.
- Cook it in low flame for ten minutes. Donot stir or mix.
- After ten minutes, open the lid and stir it with the ladle without forming lumps.
- Keep it aside for five to ten minutes.
- Then add 1 tbsp of oil and knead it with the hand when the dough is still warm.
- Knead it well to make it like a chappathi dough.
Channa dhal – 1/2 cup
Toor dhal – 1 cup
Guntur chilli – 2
Bedigi chilli – 2
Salt -As required
Asafoetida -A pinch
- Wash and soak all the ingredients for one and a half hour.
- Drain the water completely.
- Grind the dhal and chilli.
- Add salt and asafoetida. Mix well.
- Now make dumplings and steam cook it.
- Paruppu usili kozhakkattai is ready.
- After crumbling it, we can mix it with ammini kozhakkattai, vazhaipoo, beans and cluster beans.
Ammini kozhukkattai with paruppu usili
- Add coconut oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds.
- Now crumble and add the steam cooked paruppu usili and saute for two minutes.
- Add ammini kozhukkattai and mix well.
- Healthy snack is ready to serve.
Note: You can serve ammini kozhukkattai without mixing with usili. Simply splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and serve.
Else you can also mix grated coconut with it.
You can mix idli podi with ammini kozhukkattai to make podi kozhukkattai.
If you are going to use the same doughfor making sweet kozhukkattai, add only a pinch of salt. You can add the salt in paruppu usili or while spluttering with mustard seeds.