‘Open Sesame’ is a famous phrase in the movie Alibaba and forty thieves. Yes!! It bursts open when it attains maturity. They are available in two colours -white and black. In Hindu mythology, the black seeds represent Lord Sani(Saturn). They are rich in iron, magnesium and has anti-cancer properties. Adding jaggery to it makes it more rich in iron. They are used to extract oil. Next to ghee, they are more auspicious in lighting lamps. This stuffing can be used in making Ellu Kozhakkattai for Ganesh Chathurthi.
Sesame seeds – 1 ladle
Jaggery – 3/4 ladle
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Roast the sesame seeds in a pan. Cover it with a plate since it bursts out from the pan.
- Once it starts producing sizzling sound, turn off the stove. Allow it to cool.
- Now grind the roasted sesame seeds along with the jaggery and cardamom powder.
- You can serve it as a powder or it can be made into balls.
- Also this can be used as stufing in making ellu kozhakkattai.