This is the first time I am making seedai in my life. I was advised by all the elders in the family to be careful while making the seedai. If you are not careful the seedai will start bursting. After going through many blogs and getting some tips, I started making seedai. I have also given the tips known to me to avoid the bursting of seedai. Hope you will make this and enjoy..
Rice flour – 1 cup
Urad dhal flour – 1 ladle or 2 tbsp
Shredded coconut – 1 tbsp
Butter – 1-2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
Channa dhal – 2 tbsp
Sesame – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
Water – Less than 1/4 cup
- Please refer home made rice flour
Urad dhal flour
- Roast the urad dhal in a heavy bottomed pan until you feel the aroma of urad dhal.
- Now grind the roasted urad dhal in a mixer and sieve it to get the smooth flour.
- Again grind the left out particles on the sieve and sieve it. Repeat this step until there is no left out particles on the sieve.
- Store it in a container.
Soak the channa dhal in water for half an hour. Drain the water before mixing it with other ingredients.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients mentioned and mix well without adding water at first.
- Then sprinkle very little water and mix well giving pressure with your hands. Donot add too much of water.
- Heat oil in pan and add 1 ladle of the oil to the dough. this will make the seedai crispy.
- Make it to a thick dough.
- Apply coconut oil in your hands and make small chintu sized balls out of it. Make the balls gently. Donot give pressure while making it.
- Place the balls on the newspaper. This will help in absorbing the extra moisture.
- Now heat oil in a pan and deep fry the balls.
- Remove it from the oil once it turns golden brown and the sizzling sound stops.
- Store it in a air tight container.
Tips to avoid bursting of Cheedai
- Both the rice flour and urad dhal flour should be ground and sieved several times until you get the smooth flour.
- Spread the rice flour on a newspaper. Then roast it until youcan draw kolam out of it.
- Make balls gently. Donot give pressure while making it.
- You can also roast the sesame if necessary.
- Add very little quantity of water while making the dough.
- After making the balls spread it on a newspaper so that the extra moisture is absorbed.