Whole wheat Orange cake is a healthy flavourful cake and the addtion of cocoa powder to make it a layered cake makes it so tempting and delicious. Nowadays I love experimenting with wholewheat bakes and other healthy bakes. This particular cake goes well with tea. Its is perfect tea-time cake. If you too love whole wheat cakes, pl do try my Eggless whole wheat banana bread and Eggless Carrot cake.
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Corn flour – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1/4 cup
Orange juice – 3/4 cup
Icing Sugar / Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence – 1/4 tsp
Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp
- Take a bowl and add dry ingredients first.
- Add wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, corn flour and sift well.
- Sift thrice or four times so that the dry ingredients are mixed well also it results in soft fluffy cake. Keep it aside.
- Take another bowl and add all the wet ingredients one by one.
- Add oil, orange juice, sugar, vanilla essence. Mix well and keep aside.
- At this stage you can also add orange zest if you are going to add it. It really gives good flavour to the cake.
- To the wet ingredients, add the dry ingredients. We can add by sifting.
- Mix it by cut and fold method. Donot mix vigorously.
- After mixing divide it into two portions.
- In one portion, add cocoa powder and mix well.
- Now grease the pan in which you are going to bake. Add one layer of plain orange cake batter, then chocolate orange cake batter, then plain orange cake batter.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree celsius for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bake at 180 degree celsius for 35 minutes. The temperature and time vary from oven to oven.
- Insert the toothpick to check if the cake is done. Once it comes out clean, remove from the oven.
- Allow it to cool and remove from the mould. When cut lengthwise, you can see the layer.
- Serve it hot with tea.