Oven roasted chickpeas are my all time favourite teatime snack. This is healthy since it is rich in proteins and it uses less oil as it is roasted in oven. I always love to munch these roasted pulses. Green vatana is my favourite and I made the roasted green peas for the first time. But it was roasted extra and I corrected all the mistakes I done while doing it. Then for the next time I made these and it is super hit and perfect. There are some important points to be considered while roasting these so that they dont fail.
Difficulty level – Difficult
Soaked Chickpeas / Garbanzo beans – 2 cups
Oil – 2 tbsp
Garam masala powder – 1.5 tsp
Mango powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – As req
- Wash and soak the chickpeas or garbanzo beans for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas with required amount of salt.
- Drain the water and spread the chickpeas on the kitchen towel to get rid of the moisture.
- Once the moisture is not there, transfer the chickpeas to a bowl.
- Drizzle oil and toss the bowl to coat the chickpeas with oil. This helps the masala powders to coat well on the chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
- Then add garam masala powder, mango powder and toss well.
- Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt , toss again. So that all the masala powders will get coated well on the chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
- Now spread the chickpeas on the baking tray.
- Pre heat the oven at 180 degree celsius for 3 minutes.
- Roast the chickpeas at 180 degree celsius for 35 to 40 minutes. Every 10 minutes, remove the tray from the oven and mix well. Repeat this in an interval of 10 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, keep an eye so that the chickpeas are not burnt.
- Remove it from the oven, allow it to cool and store it in an air-tight container.
- Get rid of the moisture completely.
- Coat the chickpeas with oil well.
- Remove the tray from the oven every ten minutes and mix well.
- Add masala powders according to taste.