Amaranth flour is a flour that is packed with nutrients. It is made by grinding the seeds of Amaranth plant. They are rich in proteins, calcium and is full of antioxidants. When I had been to Bombay I bought these flours and wanted to make cookies with it.
This recipe is adapted from Vitacost’s Amaranth Lemon cookies. I substituted lemon juice and lemon zest with orange juice and orange zest respectively. Also the original recipe is made with egg and I have given the recipe for eggless version. These cookies are chewy. I accept that we dont get the taste of the maida cookies but these are really healthy and guilt free to give it to the kids.
Amaranth flour – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Arrowroot powder gel (Substitute for 1 egg )
Arrowroot powder – 2 tbsp
Water – 3 tbsp
Desiccated coconut – 1/8 cup
Orange juice – 1/8 cup
Coconut oil – 1/8 cup
Water – 1/8 cup
Orange zest – 1 tbsp
Cane sugar – 1/2 cup or Sugar – 1/8 cup
- Mix two tablespoon of corn flour with 3 tbsp of water. This is the substitute for one egg. We can also use flax seed gel as a substitute for egg. Keep it aside.
- Grate the orange skin without white part. This gives nice aroma and fragrance to the cookies. Orange zest is ready and keep it aside.
- Take a bowl and add desiccated coconut, orange juice, coconut oil, water, orange zest. Mix well.
- Now add the arrowroot power mix and cane sugar/powdered sugar. Wet ingredients mix is ready.
- Now take another bowl, sift all the dry ingredients.
- First add arrowroot powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sift everything well.
- To the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients in it and mix it with the spatula.
- Donot give pressure to knead the dough. Just bring everything together.
- Grease the baking tray with parchment paper or butter paper.
- Now take small balls, flatten it on your hands and give impression with the fork.
- Arrange it on the tray.
- Pre heat the oven at 170 degree celsius and bake it at 170 degree celsius for 14 minutes.
- I placed the tray on the top rack for 7 min and bottom rack for another 7 min.
- The temperature and the timing will vary from oven to oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool and store it in an air-tight container.
- Serve with hot tea and coffee.