Vegetable Kurma is one of my favourite gravies. I tasted it for the first time when I was a kid. Yes!! My mom made this at home. It is different from Navarathna Kurma. She used to grind coconut along with other spices. It is so good to eat with Chappathi. After that I got a chance to eat it after I got married. I made this at home and it is one of the recipes made frequently at home. Though we discuss about kurma, there is difference between Vegetable Kurma and Navarathna Kurma. I have tried both the versions and each has its own unique taste.
Navarathna Kurma is a delicious and a very popular Mughalai dish. Navarathna means nine gems. As nine different ingredients which includes fruits, vegetables, nuts and paneer are used to prepare this kurma, it gets the name Navarathna kurma. It is less spicy and has a slightly sweet taste because of the fruits and nuts used. Ther is a Shahi version of this which is rich and creamy.
Please check my recipe for Carrot Kurma.
Paneer – 100gms
Carrot – 1
Beans – 9
Potato – 1 (Big)
Cauliflower – 10 florets
Green peas – 25 gms
Tomato – 4 (Big)
Onion – 3
Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Fresh Cream – 2 tsp
Milk – 1 cup
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Fruits & Nuts
Pineapple / Apple – few
Raisins, Cashews – few
Tutti Frutti – optional
- Cut the paneer into cubes and keep aside.
- Cook beans, carrot, potatoes in water with salt and turmeric powder. We can either pressure cook or open cook it.
- Separate the cauliflower florets. Allow Cauliflower florets and peas to boil in water with salt and turmeric powder. Drain the water and keep the florets aside.
- Chop the onion finely. Cut the tomatoes, make puree and strain it.
- Chop carrot, potato, beans into small cubes. Pressure cook it with peas.
- In a pan, add ghee and saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
- Then add the chopped onions and saute till golden brown.
- When the ghee or oil separates, add tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, garam masala powder. Allow it to cook for sometime.
- Add the cooked vegetables and cook it for some more time.
- After few minutes add milk, fresh cream, paneer, pineapple/apple, raisins.
- Garnish it with coriander.
- The navarathna kurma goes well with chappathi, roti, phulka etc.,