Vangibath is a South Indian delicacy made with brinjals and spice powder. It has a unique taste and originates from Karnataka. I had this rice in a restaurant nearby and it is so yummy that I wished to learn this recipe. It was then I started hunting for the recipe. Twice I didnt get the exact taste but then I learnt it in the right way. The vangibath powder that we use to make this rice is so important for this recipe because it gives the flavour that is required for this recipe. The brinjals used in Karnataka is the long green variety. But we can also use the normal ones for the Vangibath if we dont get the green ones. My husband who hates brinjals also has started liking brinjals and from the aroma he finds it is Vangibath for the day.
Servings – 3
Difficulty level- Easy
Brinjal – 4 to 5
Cooked rice – 2 cups
Tamarind – A small lemon size
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Jaggery – 2 tbsp
Vangibath powder – 2 tbsp
Salt – As req
Gingelley oil – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Wash the brinjals well and remove the stem.
- Chop the brinjals lengthwise in one inch length and thickness as shown in the video.
- Place the chopped brinjals in water.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add gingelley oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add channa dhal, urad dhal, curry leaves and saute everything well.
- Once the dhals turn golden brown in colour, add asafoetida and saute for 5 minutes.
- At this stage add the chopped brinjals into the heavy bottomed vessel. Drain the excess water.
- Mix it well and add turmeric powder and mix for 2 minutes.
- Now close the lid and cook the brinjal for five minutes.
- After five minutes, add the required amount of salt, jaggery, extracted tamarind juice, Vangibath powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now close the lid and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the brinjals are cooked well.
- Keep the cooked rice aside on a plate so that the grains remain separate.
- Now add the cooked rice into the pan and mix it with brinjal curry.
- Vangibath is ready to serve. Serve with raitha or plain curd and papad.