Potato is everyone’s favourite. Aloo paratha is a filling and tasty food that goes best with curd and pickle. My mom makes the stuffing in a different way using red chilli powder instead of coriander, curry leaves and green chillies. Both the versions are my favourite. From my school days I have craving for this food. This version has become the favourite one for the entire family. Also this is ‘K’s favourite!!!
Servings – 8
Difficulty level – Medium
Wheat flour – 2 cups
Salt -To taste
Green Chillies – 2
Curry leaves – few
Coriander – few
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
- In a bowl add the wheat flour, salt and a small quantity of water and mix well.
- Knead it well to make a soft dough.
- Add a teaspoon of oil or ghee to make it soft.
- Set the dough aside and cover it with a damp cloth.
- Wash the potatoes, pressure cook it.
- Peel the skin and place it in a bowl. Mash it well.
- Chop the green chillies, curry leaves and coriander into small pieces.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chillies, coriander, curry leaves, cumin seeds into the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Mix everything together. Make it into balls and keep aside.
- Before making paratha divide the dough into equal parts, make big balls and arrange it on a plate. In the same way divide the stuffing into equal parts and make balls equal to dough balls. Place it on a plate.
- Take one of the dough balls and spread it out with the rolling-pin as we make for roti.
- Since we are going to make paratha the roti should be thicker than that we make for roti.
- Place the stuffing in the centre of the roti.
- Make pleats from all sides and bring it to center. Remove the extra extra dough.
- Coat it with the wheat flour on all the sides and keep aside.
- Follow the same step for all the balls.
- Keeping the folded side facing downwards, spread it carefully. Take care that the stuffing donot come out.
- Now heat the tava and drizzle some ghee. Place the paratha and drizzle some ghee.
- When the paratha change in colour, it starts to puff up. You can see the brown spots on it.
- Now turn it upside down and cook on the other side.
- Make sure that they change in colour on both the sides.
- Repeat the same step for other parathas.
- Serve it hot with curd and pickle.