Panguni Uthiram is one of the most important festivals for Hindus. We call this as “Meena Uthira Palguni”. The important aspect of this day is that the Pournami and Uthiram star falls on the same day of Panguni month. Panguni is the last month of the Tamil Calendar year. According to the mythology, celestial weddings take place on this day. So we call this as “Full Moon of Divine Marriages”.
Important events happened on this day
- The Devas and the demons on either sides churned the ocean of milk. Goddess Mahalakshmi came to life on Earth. On the same day she got a place in Lord Vishnu’s heart.
- The day connotes the wedding of Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva, Lord Rama and Sita. Also the wedding of Lakshmanan and Oormila, Bharathan and Maandavi, Chathruknan and Sruthakeerthi.
- Deivayaanai became the adopted daughter for Indiran on this day. Also she married Lord Muruga on this day.
- Lord Brahma got the boon of having Goddess Saraswathi on his tongue.
- Indhiran reunited with his wife Indirani on this day.
- Also Lord Ayyappa was born to Lord Shiva and Mohini avatar on this day.
- According to Kandapuranam, there is a legend Manmadha Dhakanam. Manmadhan, the Lord of Kama disturbed the penance of Lord Shiva. The offended Lord Shiva destroyed the Lord of Kama into ashes. Rathi the wife of Kama Deva offered her prayers and request to bear the sins of her husband. Lord Shiva relented and reincarnated Manmadhan.
This festival is the right day to tackle all kinds of relationship problems. It gives an immeasurable boost when you join hands with your better half in life. Precisely, on the Divine Marriage Day, Panguni Uthiram, we celebrate the joy of a loving and positive company is celebrated . The divine combination of Uttaraphalguni star with the Full Moon on Panguni (Tamil month) drives away sufferings and anxiety in nuptial life. By worshipping the Divine Couples on this day, we can connect with their energy to alleviate our relationship troubles.
Panguni Uthiram is the day to eliminate doshas in nuptial life. If the marriage was not conducted on auspicious time or if there are any doshas, then this is the day to alleviate them. The day gives you an opportunity to strengthen and improve your relationship. This day can actually dissolve all doshas and negative influences that cause disturbances in family life.
Pin for Later
Festivals in Temples
The festival is celebrated over a ten day period in most of the Murugan Temples.’Mu’ stands for Mukunda (Vishnu), ‘Ru’ for Rudra (Shiva), and ‘Ka’ for Kamala (Brahma). Therefore Muruga represents the three divine functions – creation, protection and destruction. People will assemble in thousands to witness car festivals at Palani. Men will observe a typical foot pilgrimage (pada yatra) to the temples of Lord Muruga. They cover about one hundred kilometers over three to four days and nights.
Some people vow to offer ‘Kavadi’ to Lord Muruga. They will bear Kavadi (two vessels connected and tied at the end of a long stick) on their shoulders and walk across the distance. Womenfolk will offer cool beverages like buttermilk or food to devotees. At Mylapore, the ten day Panguni Festival will come to an end on this full moon day with the Thirukalyanam (celestial marriage). Ayyappa Jayanthi (the birth anniversary) of Lord Ayyappa is observed and celebrated in Ayyappa temples in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Panguni Uthiram is considered as one of the most important vrat/fast for Lord Muruga. Observing this fast with faith and dedication would remove the obstacles in marriage.