Vegetable biriyani is a rich, exotic rice that is made with a lot of vegetables and spices. It is completely different from pulav and fried rice. It contains three main ingredients that is not included in pulav and fried rice-curd, red chilli powder and tomato.
I learnt this version from one of my college friend. Whenever we feel the class is boring or during the free hours we will discuss about making different types of recipes, method of making it etc., Though myself and my mom have experimented it in different ways, we found this version to be the best. Apt recipe to be served during get together and on weekends.
Rice – 1 cup
Water – 2.5 cups
Curd – 3 ladle
Salt – To taste
Red chilli powder- 3 tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1
Tomato – 2 Small
Carrot – 3/4 cup
Beans – 1/2 cup
Cauliflower – few florets
Potato – 1 medium size
Green peas – 3/4 cup
Corn – 3/4 cup
Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Cardomom – 1
Bay leaf – 3
Mace – small piece
Marathi mokku – 1
Star anise – 1
Cinnamon – 1
Cloves – 3
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- In a pressure cooker add ghee and the ingredients given under masala items. Saute them well until the raw smell goes off.
- Grind the ginger, garlic with two teaspoon of onion.
- Now add this paste into the cooker and saute.
- Chop onions into small bits and the other vegetables in one inch length.
- Separate the florets of cauliflower and boil it in salt water for five minutes to remove any worm if present.
- Then add the chopped onions and tomatoes. Saute until they turn golden brown or until the raw smell goes off.
- Finally add all the other vegetables, curd, salt, red chilli powder. Saute for two minutes in low flame.
- Finally add the rice, water and mix well.Close the lid.
- I have taken sona masoori rice and added 2.5 cups of water for 1 cup of rice. If you are using Basmathi rice, you can add 1.5 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- Pressure cook the biriyani in high flame until you get first whistle and in low flame until you get second whistle.
- Serve with onion raitha or rice papad.