Raw mango rice is a South Indian delicacy which is made with sour mangoes. It is prepared in the same way as lemonrice which most of us make at home. It is one of the easiest rice varities which can be made in few minutes without any fuss. The mangoes should be cooked well to give it a good tangy flavour. There is another version in which the shredded coconut is added. The rice should be dry without any moisture. So after cooking the rice, spread it on a plate and add a tsp of oil over it. So that the grains remain separate.
Gingelley oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Peanuts – 2 tsp
Fenugreek powder – 1/4 tsp
Grated raw mango – 1 cup
Cooked rice – 2 cups
Curry leaves – few
Green chillies – 3
Coriander leaves – To garnish
Salt – As req
- Grate the raw mango and keep aside.
- Pressure cook the rice and keep aside.
- In a pan, add gingelley oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add urad dhal, channa dhal, peanuts and saute until they turn golden brown in colour.
- Now add finely chopped green chilies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, salt and mix well with other ingredients.
- At this stage add the grated raw mango and saute until it gets cooked well.
- When the mango is getting cooked, add the fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Once the mango is cooked, add the cooked rice and mix well. After adding the rice, keep it in low flame.
- Finally garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.