Bell peppers are known for its attractive colour, taste and nutrients. They are rice in carotenoids, Vitamin-E and good anti-oxidants. Normally rice with pepper or bell pepper give them a mexican or spanish flavour. Mexican rice has to be marinated in onion-garlic gravy and other spices. Here I didn’t use onion and garlic. I used No onion no garlic sauce to give it a different flavour. It is an easy, colourful and tasty rice that you can prepare it in a jiffy.
Red Bell pepper – 1 cup
Yelllow Bell pepper – 1 cup
Green Bell pepper – 1 cup
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Tomato sauce – 1 to 2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Pressure cook the rice and keep aside.
- Cut the bell pepper into two and remove the stem and the seeds inside.
- Now chop the bell pepper into small pieces.
- In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the cumin seeds and saute for a minute.
- Add the red chilli powder, garam masala powder, sauce and saute for half a minute. Take care that they donot turn black.
- Now add the chopped bell pepper and saute for five minutes. They need to be half cooked. The colour of the bell pepper should remain the same.
- Turn off the stove and add the cooked rice. Donot mix with the spatula. It will make the rice mushy.
- Just toss the pan. It will blend the rice with bell pepper masala.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Colourful and tasty rice is ready.
Note : If you want the rice to be spicy use tomato sauce or chilli sauce instead of No onion no garlic sauce.