Carrot halwa is a traditional Indian sweet or pudding made with Delhi carrots, milk and sugar. It is also called as Gajrela. Traditionally it is made by simmering freshly grated carrot in full fat milk. But here I didnt grate the carrot, instead I chopped it into big chunks and used pressure cooker method to make this carrot halwa. It is less time consuming but there is no compromise in the taste. So do try this recipe at home and surprise your loved ones.
Delhi Carrots – 1 kg
Sugar – 1.5 cups
Milk – 2.5 cups
Ghee – 4 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Sliced Almonds and pistachios – To garnish
- Wash, peel and cut the carrots into big chunks.
- Ina cooker, add ghee and cardamom powder. Fry the cardamom powder for half a minute. It gives a nice flavour to the sweet.
- Add the chopped carrots and coat it with the ghee and cardamom.
- Then add sugar and mix well. You can also powder the sugar and mix it with carrots.
- Then add the milk and pressure cook it for two whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, open the cooker and mash the carrot.
- Open cook it until the milk is absorbed completely by the carrot.
- The colour of the carrot also become dark.
- Finally garnish it with sliced almonds and pistachios.