Italian rolls is the first recipe I made using my New OTG. With a bit of fear and excitement I made this recipe. This is a simple and easy rolls that can be made in one hour. I thank my friend for teaching me this recipe. I distributed this rolls to my neighbours and they too loved it. We can change the flavour of this recipe according to our choice. First time I made butterscotch rolls and then used Strawberry flavour. Loved both the flavours. And we can use tutti-frutti, raisins, orange marmalade in the pastry cream so that we can bite something in between while eating the bun. Hope you will enjoy this recipe. I am posting the video where I used Strawberry milk essence and the photos show the making of Butterscotch rolls.
All Purpose flour – 1 1/2 cups
Dry yeast – 1 tsp+1/8 tsp (or) Wet yeast – 2 tsp+ 1/4 tsp
Warm milk- 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Butter- 1 1/2 tbsp
Vanilla essence- 1/2 tsp
Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Dissolve the yeast in warm milk. Allow it to mix well.
- In a bowl add All purpose flour, sugar, salt, butter, Vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the yeast mixture and knead it well into a smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, close the lid and allow it to ferment for 30- 45 minutes.
- If you check the dough after 30 min, it would have doubled in volume.
- The dough is ready.
All purpose flour – 1/4 cup
Milk – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Strawberry milk essence – 1/2 tbsp
Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
Salt – A pinch
- Mix the flour with half the quantity of milk without lumps. Keep aside.
- Heat rest of the quantity of milk with sugar, salt, essence and butter..
- When it boils, add the flour mixture.
- Stir continuously in medium flame until it thickens.
- Add tutti- frutti and raisins at this stage. Stir for a minute and turn off the flame.
- Allow it to cool.
- Take the dough and roll it out evenly like a roti.
- Take the pastry cream and apply it over the rolled out dough. Leave half inch on all the sides.
- Then, roll it tightly and gently. It will look like a log.
- Cut it into half inch thickness.
- Apply butter on the baking tray and arrange the discs on it.
- Pre heat the oven at 175 degree Celsius for 5 minutes.
- Bake the rolls at 175 degree celsius for 20- 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush it with butter.
- The rolls will stay for 4 to 5 days. You can refrigerate it.